The Camp of Refuge: A Tale of the Conquest of the Isle of Ely

Produced by Sonya Schermann, sp1nd and the OnlineDistributed Proofreading Team at http://www.pgdp.net (Thisfile was produced from images generously made availableby The Internet Archive)

THE CAMP OF REFUGE.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ISLE OF ELY AND CAMP OF REFUGE.]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE CAMP OF REFUGE:

A Tale OF THE CONQUEST OF THE ISLE OF ELY.

---------------------

EDITED, WITH NOTES AND APPENDIX, BY SAMUEL H. MILLER, F.R.A.S.,

_Joint Author of ”The Fenland, Past and Present.”_

-------

SECOND ANNOTATED EDITION.

-------

_ILLUSTRATED WITH MAPS._

-------

WISBECH: LEACH & SON. LONDON: SIMPKIN, MARSHALL & CO.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

WISBECH LEACH AND SON, PRINTERS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE EDITOR'S PREFACE.

A generation has passed away since ”THE CAMP OF REFUGE” first issuedfrom the press. Although published anonymously, it shows that itsauthor had a very extensive knowledge of the history and topography ofthe Fen district.

The book, however, while it embodied much real history, was put forthwith no higher pretension than that of a tale, whose characters werehistoric personages, and whose incidents occurred, in the main, duringthe Norman Conquest.

Knowing that this interesting book had become very scarce, and thinkingthat it would prove as acceptable to this, and perhaps to the next,generation as it did to the past--the present publishers determined tooffer a new edition to the public; trusting at the same time that itscontents will help to foster a loyalty and a love for our Englishnation.

But with a new edition some few comments appeared necessary; thereforeNotes to the text, a short Appendix, and two Maps have been added, notwith a view merely to embellish the original work, nor to convert itinto a real history, but to assist, in some measure, the youthfulreader, or mayhap those, too, who have but limited means of consultingthe many sources of information upon which the ground-work of the talerests.

S. H. M.

_June, 1880._

SECOND ANNOTATED EDITION.

In preparing this edition, care has been taken to correct whateverdefects, typographical or otherwise, may have been found in the formerone; several fresh foot-notes have been introduced, the Appendix hasbeen re-arranged and enlarged, and a Map (adapted from _Dugdale'sMonasticon_), representing the ground plan of the Spalding Monastery,or ”Succursal Cell,” has also been added.

These emendations and additions, it is confidently hoped, will ensurefor the book a more extended appreciation than it has hitherto enjoyed.

S. H. M.

_May, 1887._